Monday, April 7, 2014

"There's something special about you"

TEMPERLEY, Argentina — WOW!!! Conference was sooooo good!! :) What did you all think? What conference talks did you all like? What themes did you notice? 

I am excited for the Liahona to come out so I can re read all of the talks!!  How it works here in Argentina is the same as there in Utah. But different timing, obviously and we watch it in the stake center. The sessions here are 1-3 and 5-7 and the priesthood at 9 pm. Crazy, right?

Conference is a special time for everyone and I just love listening to the prophet, apostles and leaders of the church. I love to listen, but even more I love that my investigators can listen. 

We had 2 investigators come for the last session on Sunday, and they loved it! It is a little miracle. The husband is excited and wanting to learn more about the church, but the wife is angry with God and does not want to learn anything more. She told us not to come back to her house. But we had the idea to just stop by one day this week for a friendly visit and invite her to the conference.  Well Sunday, rolled around and she came to the church! I was so stinkin´ happy to see her and her husband. 

The first thing she did was give me a hug and a kiss and said, "I don’t want to be here but I am doing this for you, hermana, because I know there is something special about you."

Nope, nothing special about me. But the Gospel in my life? YEP!!! Absolutely special! :) 


Hermana Newman y Ruiz Diaz caught in the rain.

 She came to the church grumpy and with a frown and left after conference with a grin on her face and invited us back to teach her more. I LOVE THE GOSPEL. Yet another testimony to me of how powerful the Spirit is. It can soften and change people's hearts. I am sooo grateful for that.

I loved all of conference and honestly have a hard time deciding which talks were my favorite because all were good and had different messages. But as a missionary I really enjoyed Elder Ballard's talk and President Monson's

Elder Ballard spoke yet again about missionary work and how we ALL need to work together. How true that is! It made me think of when I am home and back in the states that I need to get it together and do missionary work there, too. Before my mission I had a testimony of missionary work and always wanted to serve, but never understood how much we need to work together. Elder Ballard is absolutely right. The missionaries can’t do it with out the members and the members can’t do it without missionaries... the solution? WORKING TOGETHER!

I know it can be hard, but the invitation is for us to pray to have a missionary experience. I invite us all to pray this week to help the work of salvation move forward. The way you help doesn’t matter... whether big or small... what matters is that we are involved. And the most important thing is LOVE. 

Happy to find "United States" Street

Like President Monson said, we need to love our brothers and sisters. We need to love them into the gospel of Jesus Christ! I believe that with all of my heart. 

I am excited to continue my missionary service here in Argentina and of course in Utah when I get back. What a blessing we have to be missionaries forever! :)

This week has been great. Hermana Ruiz Diaz and I are working hard and searching for those who are ready to teach and helping our less-actives feel the Spirit and come back. 

She is awesome. Only 18 years old,  but boy does she have a strong testimony! We definitely have our differences, but I am enjoying learning to work with her. God knows me well and knows that she has something to teach me, so I am excited to learn from her in the next couple of weeks we have together. She wants to serve next year, so this is great preparation for her! 

Learning to make empanadas


What’s new this week? hmm.. Not sure what else. The weather here is crazy and can't decide whether it is summer or fall. We have had some cold rainstorms and then smoldering hot humid days too. Gotta love it :) Keeps me on my toes! 

I hope all is well there in the States for you all! Hope you know how much I love you! Praying for you daily! Thanks for being so awesome and great examples to me! Keep it up! 

-Hermana Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment