Monday, April 14, 2014

Running — and standing — alone

TEMPERLEY, Argentina — Hola Feliz Lunes para todos! :)

Random, but President asked us to copy and paste this note to our family this week:

Due to the constraints imposed by the government of Argentina for imports, we are having trouble receiving packages from other countries. Because of these constraints, we recommend that the next time missionaries communicate with their families via email, that they ask them to not send any more packages.
If packages are sent, they will probably remain in customs and never reach their destination.
We want to clarify that there is no malice in this, but removing these packages from customs is a costly process for the Church and can be avoided, if appropriate measures are taken.
So... yeah. Please don’t send packages to Argentina!

---------

This week was great again. Crazy, but great. We had interviews with President Thurgood again, which went well. He is awesome. It’s funny to think he was my Book of Mormon teacher at BYU-Idaho.

This week has turned into Fall for sure. I don’t know what the temperature is, but it’s getting chilly. Everyone keeps telling me it’s the winds from the south. For a moment I was so confused because always its the wind from the north that makes Utah so cold... oh wait... I am in the opposite side of the world ;) ha makes sense! How is the weather there? Do you still have snow or has it turned into spring yet? Okay, enough about the weather.



This week was a little crazy. We were running all over the place. Seriously running. Just imagine two young girls in dresses/skirts running down dirt roads as fast as they can. One of them saying ¨fly fly fly¨ over and over again. (I taught my companion how to say ¨we need to fly. ¨ but she prefers to just say fly!) Ha oh dear. 

Yes we are quite the sight to see. People were staring at us like, ¨Who the heck are these crazy girls?¨ Yep, we are the missionaries who need to get to our next appointment! I don’t know why, but we were running between appointments for two days straight. I can only imagine how funny we looked. And then, to top it off, silly Hermana Newman tripped and fell twice. I couldn’t stop laughing. I love my life! Oh, the things we do as missionaries. Anything to help the work move along, right? :)

We were visiting some of our investigators one night before it was time to go home: Familia Lera. We were getting ready to start the lesson, and the family asked me if I would be willing to offer the prayer. I started praying and felt like someone was standing next to me. (We were giving the lesson outside). As I ended the prayer and opened my eyes, sure enough there was an old woman standing next to me. I, of course, greeted her and asked her name. She replied and asked me who I was. I told her I am Hermana Newman, a missionary from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She replied... ¨ahh... mormona! ¨ Yes, that is one of our nicknames. 

She seemed like the nicest sweet little lady, which I am sure she is. But I soon found out that she is the Pastor of the Church that our investigators are attending. Let the drama begin. 

She looked me in the eyes, and began to tell me that my church is a cult, that what we teach is wrong and that we need to stop confusing people. She told me that I need to invite people unto Christ, not turn them away. Then she told me that I was too young to know much about the gospel. 



It’s interesting to respond to people who are contrary to your church. My poor companion was trembling, and didn’t know what to say. To be honest ,I was sure what to say. But all I knew to do was to bear my testimony to her and tell her what my purpose was. I bore a short and sweet testimony of what I know to be true. I told her that I am young, and I may not know everything, but I do know that we are called of God in this time to help invite everyone to come unto Christ, and that our message is special and for everyone.

Sadly, she didn’t listen. She basically laughed in our faces and told us how silly we were. My poor companion looked like she was about to cry. But all I could do is smile. I am sad for this dear sister. I am sad she does not want to listen, but I am sooo grateful to have to truth in my life. And it’s true, a lot of people won't listen to us and often will TRY to tear down our faith, but if we can stand strong all is well. It’s like the Mormon Message: Dare to Stand Alone. Do people know who we are? If not, they should. We are different. We are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!
¨Day after day, on your path toward your eternal destiny, increase your faith. Proclaim your faith! Let your faith show!" (Elder Russell M. Nelson)

I hope you all have a wonderful week! I am excited for this next week to look for those who are waiting for this great message of hope. Thanks for your love and prayers. Go have some fun and smile big... Life is Good!

Con Mucho Amor,

Hermana Newman :)

No comments:

Post a Comment