Monday, September 30, 2013

Hermana Newman the Latina

Columbia, Md - Pues, Hola Familia :)Como Esta? I kind of want to write this email to you in Spanish, but that wouldn't be very fun for you, just for me and I dont have enough time to do that, so... I guess I will stick with English. ;)

Another week flown by. What the.. . .  I seriously have no idea where this transfer went. We have one more week left and then it is time for transfers again. No news here [Visa] yet. Still chuggin' along :) We had interviews with President this week. He said that he has not heard a thing about my Visa. So, looks like I am staying in  the Columbia 3rd Spanish Branch!


How did all of you ladies like the Relief Society Broadcast? I got to watch it in Spanish which was really fun... and interesting ha. Our whole stake filled the chapel to watch it on Saturday and then the Spanish Branch watched it in the Relief Society room.  They were cracking jokes about all the "gringas" in the chapel until one of the ladies looked back at me and Hermana Crotzer. Then they laughed and said "No, no, they are not gringas... Hermana Crotzer and Newman are Latinas." So yes, I have officially been adopted and am una Latina! :) wooo, dream come true. haha 

Columbia, Maryland 3rd Spanish Branch

The Broadcast was really good though. What were your favorite parts? I am SOOOO excited for General Conference this weekend! I dont know how it works for us missionaries but somehow I am sure we will get to watch it. I was thinking a lot about it this week and how cool it is that we get to gather together as Latter-Day Saints and hear modern day revelation. We get to hear from the Prophet and receive more insight in this life. How awesome!


I want to tell you about one of our investigators we have been working with. We are not really supposed to put in names when we write home, so I will call her.. Maria, just so it is easier to understand. Entonces, "Maria" is amazing! We have been working with her for a little over a month or so. We met her one day when she was sitting outside her apartment just enjoying the day. I think I wrote about her a while back as one of our miracles. Well, she continues to be one of our miracles. I am so happy that God trusts me enough to work with her. She is a sweet, humble little lady from Honduras. I love her! She calls Hermana Crotzer and I her little angels. (Mom, she gives me plenty of hugs and kisses every time I see her, so I feel right at home- haha :) ) 

Anyways, this week she came to church again. We were thrilled because the past couple weeks she hasnt been able to. The branch welcomed her right in and she loved it. I was a little nervous but I asked her if she would attend a baptism Sunday evening. She got the biggest smile on her face and said "Si Hermana Neuwman, claro que si!" We were thrilled. We got her a ride and sure enough she showed up last night at the church with a big ol' grin on her face. Unfortunately the service was in English, but I told her to notice the way she felt. I also was able to kind of help her understand what the speakers said and help her understand the importance of Baptism and Confirmation. 

After the baptism we asked her how she felt. She said it was beautiful and she really liked it. We asked what her favorite part was and she said that she loved how reverent the children were during the actual baptism. She is our progressing investigator right now and doing soooo well! Tonight we have a goal to invite her to be baptized next month. I know she is ready! I know she is one of the reasons I am here in Maryland. She is amazing and teaches me so much everytime I speak with her. One big thing I have learned from working with her is humility. How important it is to be humble. She has got it down and I am working hard on it each and every day! She is a blessing in my life, that is for sure!


We had another blessing come into our lives this week. For sake of the story we will call her "Lupe". Lupe is a recent convert of 3 weeks that just moved to Maryland. We got her number through church headquarters and were asked to contact her. We called her up and she sounded really confused, then I said, "Hermana Somos Misioneras de La Iglesia...." I didnt even get to finish before she was squealing on the phone. ;) "Hermanas, Mi, Hermanas!" She said. She was so excited that we called her and wanted to meet with us the next day. (She lives far away from us) So we got a ride from a member and headed up to see her. When we arrived she gave us the biggest welcome ever.

 She moved from Houston Texas where they have a Spanish stake... yes, an entire stake or hispanic people. (How cool!) Its going to be different for her because we are just a small little branch. But, we invited her to church on Sunday and she came. She loved it and fit right in with the ward. We call her during the week to talk and have lessons over the phone. Since she is a member here now, we get to start teaching "new member lessons" I havent had the opportunity to teach them yet to anyone, so I am excited to teach her. Lupe is Strong! She has been a member for less than a month but you wouldnt guess it! You would guess she has been her whole life. When I look at her and see the excitment and joy the gospel brings her it makes me happy. I want to be like Lupe! She has a lot more to learn, but that doesnt matter. She has truly been converted and knows her purpose. She is quite the missionary here as well.


I could go on and on about these wonderful people I am meeting everyday, but I dont have enough time in a day to tell you. Long story short. We are all soooo different. We all come from different backgrounds and countries. But we are all Sons and Daughters of God! :) We all have the opportunity to receive the blessings of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Life is tough, it really is. But we have the ultimate support system! Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and The Holy Ghost. :) WHat a team they are! Couldnt have it better.


I am almost out of time, but I hope you know how much I love you all! Seriously, thinking and praying for you often! THanks for all your support and prayers. Greatly appreciated.
Well, Have a great week! Make someone smile. Remember who you are and who you represent. Pray for missionary moments and you will find them. I promise!


D&C 6:8. Do some good this week!


Con Amor,
Hermana Newman :)

No comments:

Post a Comment