Monday, September 23, 2013

Finding the lost sheep


COLUMBIA, Md. — How are you this fine Monday? Another week has flown by! How is Utah? It is fall here and I love every second of it! The leaves, the fresh air — all wonderful! And the humidity has dropped quite a bit... at least for now. What’s new with you?

This week was great. We had some miracles with less actives again! I love working with less actives! I am sure I have said that sooo many times, but it is true! I love working with ALL people here, but working with less actives and showing them love is very fun and something I am good at. People change when they feel loved. That is why it is so important we help people to know that they are loved — by us, and more importantly, by our Heavenly Father!

A family in the branch. The girls found their boots to match Hermana Newman
We went for a return visit to a less active lady in our branch. It has been pretty hard to get a hold of her, so we were hoping and praying she would be there. I was a little doubtful, but said a little prayer to help me have some faith. I knocked on the door, and it was her. She answered the door with a big smile and invited us in! 

She invited us to sit down while she went down stairs to grab something. When she returned she had two books in her hands. She began to dust them off. I looked at what she was holding and had a big Hermana Newman grin on my face. It was the Book of Mormon and the Bible :) She went and grabbed them, without us even asking and wanted to show us them. We got to know her better, talked about her family, work, and of course the gospel of Jesus Christ. Her and her son are the only members of their family and have been less active for quite some time. 

Before I knew it, our time was up, and it was time to go to our next visit. I am excited for this week because she invited us back this Wednesday for another visit... and to learn how to make Tacos. Mmmm! Win-win situation. Gospel and food! What more can you ask for? ;)

We also had some great lessons with our investigators. It just so happened that most of the lessons we taught to them were about the Plan of Salvation. What a wonderful plan. I love teaching people about it. 




Some people have an idea of what was before this life and what they hope is after. But this week, I have realized that A LOT of people have no idea where they came from, and where they are going. It is sad to me, but it makes me happy to see their faces when I tell them there is more to life. I tell them they do have a purpose and that one day they can live with their families and God again. I know I always say it, but we are so blessed to have the Gospel in our lives and know what we know. 

Don’t ever take it for granted! So many people don’t know what you do. Share the happiness of the Gospel with someone this week! It will be the best part of your week, no doubt!

Well, I don’t have too much more to say but before I get off, I just wanted to say a quick thing to you specifically, Mom and Dad. THANK YOU! THANK YOU THANK YOU! MUCHISIMAS GRACIAS :) 

I think about you often, of course, but this week during Relief Society, you especially came to my mind. We were talking about families and how to be better parents (Which does not directly apply to me since I am not one). But it made me think of what awesome parents I have! I have two parents who love each other very much, who raised their children in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, taught me how to work hard, to have high standards, to get a good education, never failed to tell me they loved me or give me kisses and hugs. 

The list goes on and on. 

It reminds me of the first words we read from Nephi in the Book of Mormon

"I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents..." 

Well, I, Hermana Newman, having been born of goodly parents... am very blessed to say the least! Mom, Popi, thank you for all you do and all you have taught me. Sometimes I have taken it for granted. But I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! You are amazing examples to me.

I don’t know who all reads my letters, but those of you who are reading this right now, think about the things your parents have done for you. Make sure you tell them thank you! Make sure they know how much you love them.

This also applies especially to our Heavenly Father. Offer a prayer of pure gratitude sometime this week! Don’t ask for anything, just give thanks. After all, He has given us everything we have!

We are so very blessed! Keep smiling. Be good and have a wonderful week!

Con Amor,

-Hermana Newman :)

No comments:

Post a Comment