Monday, October 7, 2013

Hermana Newman: Can You Help Me Understand the Book of Mormon?



Columbia, Md - Hellllooooooo FAMILY!

How are you? GUESS WHAT?!?!  Yepp.... sure do love you! LIKE A LOT! :) I have been thinking about you all and praying for you. I hope all is going well for you. SO, how is everyone doing? Give me some details. Pictures would be awesome too if anyone has any.... especially of my cute nieces and nephew (hint hint... Nick, Juli, Chris, Hannah) ;) hee hee I miss those kiddos a lot!

Well, no news from my visa this week. The two Elders I came out here with that are going to my same mission received theirs and are heading out tomorrow! Crazy. But mine did not come through. I think it will pretty soon though :) And no worries because this Hermana is pro at being patient ;) haha 7 weeks waiting for a mission call... 6 months waiting for a visa? No Problem! Lol

Can I just say I love my Branch! Oh my goodness I love my branch. Columbia 3rd Spanish Branch... FAMILY right there :) I love these people! This week was great for so many different reasons but one being that it was Conference! I love conference! As I am sure all of you do as well. This was a new experience for me because I watched it all in Spanish. Kind of cool! At the Stake Center there was normal English and then a room translated into Spanish. Our Elders for some reason went to the English sessions but Hermana Crotzer and I felt strongly that we needed to support our branch and watch conference with them in Spanish- and so we did! :)

Tortilla Time

What were some of your favorite talks? Did you notice a theme? At least on Saturday I did.... OBRA MISIONAL anyone? (MISSIONARY WORK) Some of my favorite talks were Elder Ucthdorf, Elder Ballard and Elder Nelson. They were all fabulous talks however! Can’t go wrong with General Conference. What a neat opportunity we have to receive revelation. I love the scripture mastery in D&C 1:37-38
"Search these commandments for the are true and faithful and the prophesies and promises which are in them shall all be fulfilled. What I the Lord have spoken I have spoken and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants it is the same."

Listening to the Apostles and Prophets is like listening to The Lord himself speak to us. So, put what you learned from Conference into action starting today! Don’t wait! :) We all receive different answers, but I know there is something for everyone in conference. If you weren’t able to watch it, go back and watch it because it was fabulous!

A quick miracle from this week and then I will have to let you go. We have been working with a less active for quite some time. She has two kids who come to church but she is off and on coming to church. I have been able to make quite a good relationship with her over the past five months and finally this week we made some more progress. We went over to her house this week to chat and see how she is doing. She is crazy busy like all the time so we were grateful to be able to talk with her for a few minutes. We talked just about everything. Before we left I felt like I needed to ask her what we could help her with, like some sort of service: cleaning her house, weeding, painting, doing dishes.. something to help her out.

She had a big smile on her face and said, "No Hermana Newman, Thank you but I don’t need help." I was a little disappointed because I love doing service. But that wasn’t the end of her sentence. "... I don’t need any help around the house. But do you think you could help me with the Book of Mormon? I don’t understand it and I know I need to." Best day ever! :)

As always, I am sure I had a big Hermana Newman cheesy grin on my face. Of course we can help you with the Book of Mormon! I almost couldn’t believe my ears when she asked for help. I have been trying to figure out what she needs and how I can help her my whole time I have been here in Maryland. Well, it took some time but now I know.



I am sooooo grateful for the opportunity to help others come closer to Christ. I am still learning about the Book of Mormon myself, but now I get to help someone else understand it and grow closer to Jesus Christ. This work never ceases to amaze me :) Miracles miracles! I love watching people change- this work is amazing!

Have a wonderful week family. I love you! Keep smiling, don’t forget to laugh and remember to get to work... help someone in need!

Con amor,
Your favorite Hermana ;)... Hermana Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment