Monday, August 26, 2013

Gospel, gratitude and giggles

COLUMBIA, Md. — This week is the start of transfer #3 for me here in Maryland. President told me they shredded my visa and that I wasn’t allowed to go to Argentina anymore. So no visa, and I am staying here for the 18 months.

Just kidding!

I am sure I will make it to Buenos Aires, the question is when? But I am not worried about it, just doing my best and working hard here in Columbia, Maryland.

Well Fam Bam, what is new? Are you all thinking it's weird that summer is pretty much over? I cannot believe it! That flew by! Mom, how was your birthday? Labor Day is almost here. What are you all doing for Labor Day? For us, it is another P-day, but our branch is having a picnic as well so that should be fun.

Papusas... be very jealous!
I think I told you this last week but we got a Lider de Obra Misional (ward mission leader). He is awesome! And helping the missionary work so much. We are trying to get our little branch excited and more involved in the work. This transfer is going to be awesome with lots of miracles, I know it! We had a pretty awesome turnout at church on Sunday. Between the Spanish elders and us, we had 13 less actives at church and 1 investigator! :) WAHOOOO!

Usually, the weeks fly by here, but for some reason, this week has seemed pretty slow. Not bad at all, but I can't even remember what went on because there were so many things and my crazy mind keeps getting weeks confused.

We were able to get some investigators progressing and hopefully this next week we can get a few on date to be baptized.

Funny experience of my week: I swear it was Law of Chastity Week with everyone! Funny thing is I have never taught it before in English let alone in Spanish. But... it all went well... I think ;) Nothing is awkward unless you make it awkward, right?!? I read a scripture with one of our investigators, who has been living with his girlfriend for 8 years and has 2 kids. I was nervous to read the scripture but I did it anyway, because the Spirit told me to. He looked at me and told me that he knew he was sinning and needed to change. With a big Hermana Newman grin, I turned to him and his girlfriend smiled and said, "Si! Entonces, ustedes piensen es una buena idea ser casarse?" (Yes, so, do you think it’s a good idea to be married then?)

He busted up laughing and said, "Yes Sister Newman that would be a good idea."  Made me so happy. Now this week we have to work with them and get a date set.

I love every moment. Yes we have hard times, sad times, awkward, fun, happy ... all of the above! Every time is worthwhile. I am learning and growing a lot. And it is my hope that I am helping other people learn and grow as well.





Hermana Newman's district right before transfers
Nothing too big going on here this week. Just little miracles all around. I love seeing people learning about the Gospel and changing. To see the Gospel changing lives here as a missionary is pretty amazing. I love it! It is really hard to see people turn down the truth and walk away, but I know that with time, they will be ready for the truth as well. It’s all about timing. Who is ready and who needs a little more time.

I have learned so much here in Maryland and seen a lot of things that I never have before. It makes me really grateful for what we have. A lot of times we take things for granted. Every time we go to an apartment and there are 3 or 4 families crammed into a rundown apartment, my heart breaks.

We are so blessed to have the things we do. We are so blessed to have the Gospel in our lives. We were chosen to have the Gospel and share it with others. I admire those who don’t have the Gospel for so long and then find it and are able and willing to make that changeHeavenly Father's plan is perfect and He wants nothing more than to have us all choose the right path and be able to return to Him again.

Brittany always used to say this and it kind of made me chuckle but now I understand. "I am a little homesick for heaven." I can't wait until we all get to be together in Heaven and be with our Savior and Father in Heaven. What a great day that will be. For now... keep the work moving. Go out and find those who need to be found.

Love you! Have a great week! You are always in my prayers.

Con Amor,

Hermana Newman :)

1 comment:

  1. Sister Newman I enjoy so much the stories you share ! Indeed it is all about timing, just as all flowers do not grow at the same rate nor do they bloom at the same time in a season, but eventually they do bloom.Remember too that you are constantly sustained in prayer !
    Brother Tommy Elliott ( Lider de Obra Misional Southington Ct Ward )

    ReplyDelete