Monday, August 19, 2013

We Are a Mission of Hope


COLUMBIA, MD - Holy Smokes time is going by so fast! This is the last week of the transfer! Can you believe it? I know it’s not very long in the long run but I can’t believe I have been gone almost 4 months now.

Time is crazy! I am loving every second of it though. A lot of you have asked so I will let you know... No word on the Visa yet. No worries :) God has perfect timing so I will get to Buenos Aires right when I am supposed to! For now, I love Columbia and the branch is sooooo great. And good news, this week we finally got a ward mission leader! SO happy! He will be a lot of help I am sure.

This week has been pretty crazy. Normal missionary work as always but then we have had other meetings or activities every day of the week. Just for fun here is some of the things we did:

Monday- Normal P-day

Tuesday- District meeting and Teamups with the Elders (2 elders 2 sisters go teach together) It is pretty fun and a good experience. You should have seen the look on the Elders faces when they came to our area because they know zero Spanish but, they were troopers.

Wednesday- We had an all-day training for new missionaries and trainers. It was awesome! I learned so much and am grateful for inspired leaders. It got me pumped to be an even better missionary. Thank goodness for repentance. We can always repent, start over and do better.

Thursday- We were on exchanges from Wednesday night to Friday morning. I love exchanges. I went with the YSA branch in English so that was a new experience for me. It reminds me of how different every person is. People have so many different life experiences and need different things in their lives. But the cool thing is, the gospel can help anyone and everyone in some way.

Exchanges with Sister Jones and Yardley

Friday- We got to go to an Orioles Baseball game because it was Mormon Night. It was really fun but super weird to be at a game and not proselyting. I kept thinking about Dad and Nick. Ha! I guess I really don’t know how baseball works but I have now been to a MLB game. Next time I think I will need Dad with me to help explain what is going on ;) hee hee




Saturday- We got the Rivera family to come see a baptism! Wahooo :) Jennifer was pretty excited about it and asked me when her baptism could be. She didn’t stop smiling the rest of the service. So hopefully they will be progressing towards that this week. Those girls want to be baptized but they lack a lot of family support so I want to make sure they are ready and not just baptized and go less active right after.
Sunday- Church :) And we had 2 less actives come that haven’t been to church in years!!! Happy day.

The Lord is blessing our lives everyday. And I feel lucky that he chose me to help him spread the word here in Maryland. There are soooooo many people who are confused or lost and don’t even know it. In our training this week President said something that got me thinking a lot. He said, "We used to be a mission of hope... now we are a mission of help." Wow. How true that is. We don’t just HOPE people will come unto Christ. We HELP people come unto Christ. And as members of this church and disciples of Christ, that is our duty and calling. Help our Brothers and Sisters come unto Christ.

Someone in our training also shared this quote that I liked, "If you are really trying to be your best, you won’t be comfortable." That is one of the biggest lessons I have learned out here on a mission. If you want God to help you, step out of your comfort zone, and be willing and ready to do it. It is scary I know! Bah! I used to be soooo nervous to talk to people. But, you just gotta do it and get lost in the work. I know I keep saying it but it is important- Go be a missionary today! Find out how Heavenly Father needs your help and go do it! Sister Dirkmaat (Bobby's mom)  shared a scripture with me this week that I really liked and think we all can benefit from. D&C 29:4-7! 

Verily, I say unto you that ye are chosen out of the world to declare my gospel with the sound of rejoicing, as with the avoiceof a trump.
 Lift up your hearts and be aglad, for I am in your bmidst, and am your cadvocate with the Father; and it is his good will to give you the dkingdom.
 And, as it is written—Whatsoever ye shall aask in bfaith, beingcunited in prayer according to my command, ye shall receive.
 And ye are called to bring to pass the agathering of mine belect; for mine elect chear my voice and dharden not their ehearts;

Go share what you know. People are waiting and depending on you! You can do it!

Bahhhhhh I sure do love you family!
Have a wonderful week!
-Hermana Newman :)

No comments:

Post a Comment