Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Behold, I am Hermana Newman

Luis Guillon - Argentina

¨Behold, I am Hermana Newman, a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare His word among his people in Maryland and Argentina, that they might have everlasting life.¨ (3 Nephi 5:13)

As you all know, I LOVE being a missionary... every aspect of it and I feel so privileged to be able to serve and represent my Savior Jesus Christ.  The time has flown and I can’t believe I am sitting here writing my last email in the mission field. I have worked hard and learned lots in these 18 months. I have changed you might say. And all of that is thanks to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

I remember when Brittany [Hermana Newman’s Sister] was writing her last letter in the mission she wrote a ¨top ten list¨ of things and lessons learned on her mission. I thought it would be fun to make one as well of the things I have learned. Of course there are more than ten things but to narrow it down a bit, mine would go something like this:
  1.  The small things (the basics) really do matter. -Alma 37:6-7
  2.  First we obey, then we understand. - Alma 57:21
  3. Give your whole heart to the people (Christ like love) -3 Nephi 12:44
  4. Ït doesn’t matter if your right, it doesn’t matter if you’re justified. If there is contention in your heart, you are in the wrong.¨ - 3 Nephi 11:29
  5. The refiners fire is real. Consecrate yourself now!  -Zechariah 13:9
  6. Get out of your comfort zone. Its good to be uncomfortable... then you can rely 100% on the Lord. – D&C 6:36
  7. The Lord does not expect you to be perfect now, but He does expect your best. -Ether 12:2
  8. Whom the Lord calls, He qualifies. –D&C 1:23
  9. Open your mouth and it will be filled. –D&C 84:85
  10. Satan is the master of complexity; the Lord is the master of Simplicity. -Alma 5:40


This is a bittersweet moment for me. I love being here. I love serving. I love the culture and the people... I LOVE being a missionary! This truly has become my home. But ya know what? This is not the end of missionary work, it’s only the beginning.

Preach my Gospel Missionaries understand that the responsibility to represent the Savior and to bear testimony of Him never ends. When the day arrives for an honorable release as a full time missionary, you will depart from a field of labor and return to your family - but you will not cease being and becoming a missionary.  A release as a full time missionary is a call to serve as a lifelong missionary. And Preach my gospel missionaries honor, always, this sacred obligation.¨ -Elder Bednar

As I read that this week, I realized that it doesn’t need to be a bittersweet thing. I will keep working as hard as ever this last week and return home with a smile on my face. Because the Lord will help me! He always has and always will. I am ready for my new challenge... My new call... Watch out Utah, ready or not, here I come! 

I have seen miracles and lives changed because of the gospel, here in these short 18 months.  I have seen the atonement in action. I have seen faith grow and addictions stopped. I have been a small part of this great work of our Savior! I will miss my big Latino family for sure, but I know that missionaries here will do just as great and help these people too. That’s the great thing about  missionary work. We are a great big team! Fighting for the same cause! 

I want to leave you with my testimony. It is still so simple... but what I know, I KNOW to be true! I love this gospel. I know this church is true with all my heart. I know Jesus Christ died for us, but I too know that he lives and loves us. We have a loving Heavenly Father who gave us a plan so that we can return with him and be happy. The Book of Mormon is our Guide. We should treasure it and read it daily. The little things matter.  I can testify of that! Daily scripture study, prayer, church attendance, temple attendance and Family home evening makes the difference. It changes lives! I know that our prophet is a man of God inspired to help us today in this world. I know that missionary work is a vital part of the plan of God. If we use our time wisely and know what our priorities are, we can do anything. We can be Disciples of Christ and help spread the gospel in all sorts of ways. I know that this gospel is key for us returning back home with our Heavenly Father and that is why I am here in Argentina right now.
I love being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints! We are different and we stand out. I know these things are true and know that we can continually learn more and strengthen our testimony as well as other people. We need to pray and search for inspiration and He will always help us. He loves us and wants us to succeed! Put your trust in him!  In the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen. 

¨Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to 
face, that our joy may be full. ¨(2 John 1:12) :) 

See ya in a few days family! Sure do love you! Tear it up and remember to smile! :)
Con mucho amor,

-Hermana Newman 

No comments:

Post a Comment