Monday, July 29, 2013

Little things build the Kingdom

COLUMBIA, Md. — HellloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOO!!!!!!

How are you?!?! I don’t know why, but today I am super excited to email today. I wish I could see your faces and give you all a great big hug. But, since that’s not gonna happen, just imagine me giving you a great big cheesy grin.

Holy cow, I was spoiled this week. I got a letter from Grandma, Aunt Lisa, Brittany, Nick, Juli and then birthday packages from Erianne and Juli and the Girls! Thank you thank you! I love hearing how everyone is doing. Sounds like everyone seems to be doing well. I have been praying for Chris with his test. How did it go? That smarty-pants probably aced it like a boss! Thank you for all your love and support! I have the best family and friends ever! Lucky me! Thanks for putting up with me for so long! ;)

This week was great. Lots of miracles again. One being the weather. We had 2 whole days of beautiful weather. Low humidity and not hot. I was in heaven! Now, the weather has returned to the normal hot and humid but it's okay, I definitely enjoyed it while it lasted.

Sara finds her favorite dog: a Boxer!
I am not fluent by any means, but my Spanish has improved, which makes me so happy. I was nervous when Hermana Brown left, but the Lord won't let you fail if you try. I hadn’t really noticed my Spanish until all the branch members kept telling me I had improved. And then I realized.... wow. I am talking to people in Spanish. HA! That sounds weird. I can’t even explain. It is definitely a blessing to be able to speak and understand a different language. And of course there are those awesome times when you and your companion look at each other with "that face" and neither of you know what' s going on. Gotta love it. My accent and pronunciation is getting a lot better, too. Just need to keep working on the grammar rules and conjugation. Okay, I will stop rambling about that because I am sure you have better things to read about than how my Spanish is.

Hermana Newman learns how to make tortillas from scratch
This week was full of all sorts of different kinds of days. My companion is still getting used to being out here, so days that are not super awesome are hard for her. We had one day this week where we talked to a lot of people, but taught zero lessons. Yes, zero. Those days are hard because you wonder what you are doing wrong. I could tell my companion was concerned so I just smiled at her and said "It's all for a reason."

It is true. If we are being exactly obedient, then it is all for a reason. I don’t know why we weren’t able to sit down and teach people. But what I do know is that we were doing what the Lord wanted of us that day. We were meeting people, learning, getting practice; the list goes on and on. It doesn’t matter what part of the work we are doing, just as long as we are willing to do the part that God needs us to do. So, when He asks you to do something, don’t hesitate and wonder why, just do it!

Getting those Argentine sleeping bags ready
This week we were able to meet with five families that we have been trying to meet with for the whole last transfer. I don’t know why this week they finally opened their doors, but they did. God's timing is perfect. I know I say that every week but it is true! Several times we would show up to people's houses, just as they were getting home, or they would be outside in their yards or they didn’t want to talk to us but would let us in to use the bathroom or get some water and then start talking about the church. A lot of these people we met with have been less active for years. Their hearts are hurt, or hardened but our job is to love them. Love them like Christ would love them. Let them know that we care about them and they are missed. It is amazing what can change with a little bit of love.

Okay, I feel like I am rambling again. So, I will get off. Sorry there was not a big story or happening this week, but the little things make the big things happen. This week for your missionary moment, go out and find someone to love. Choose a person and be their friend, love them like Jesus Christ would! Let them know you care. You will make a difference in their lives, and I promise you will notice a difference in yours! I know because I have noticed it in my life. I have been trying to develop the Christlike characteristics in Preach My Gospel. I am working on Christlike love. Seeing people like He does changes your perspective and changes you. Let the change happen!

Have a great week. Be good, make good friends, don’t let South Jordan get ya ;)

Te Amo,

Hermana Newman :)

No comments:

Post a Comment